Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Practice Post

This is bold. This is underline. This is italic.

This is a new paragraph.

Hello, my name is Mark Nelson. I am from a small rural coal mining community in west-central Alabama where I spent most of my childhood on my grand-fathers farm. Shortly after high school I started an entry level position at a local engineering office and over a period of time worked my way up to department manager. I am an Alabama licensed professional land surveyor and have recently retired after twenty-five years in the field. I am married to LaRita Nelson, my best friend and lifelong companion.
Times Square,New York, New York

Next month we will celebrate our thirty-second wedding anniversary. We are blessed with one daughter, Autumn, who lives out of state. I am attending the University of South Alabama as a result of a family illness that has required my wife to return to her hometown of Mobile. I would like to teach because I enjoy helping others, I like the feeling of accomplishment I receive knowing I have helped others excel, and I am at a point in my life where I want to do something meaningful with the remainder of my working years.

What do I enjoy? Even though my current physical condition is terrible, I am passionate about long distance cycling. Yes, riding a bicycle. A few years ago my wife and I cycled from Nashville, Tennessee to Tupelo, Mississippi, 175 plus miles, in three days. I also like math,
Math Blackboard

I thought calculus classes were fun and found it interesting to see how things mathematically work. I am amused that people think that just because I like math I am smart. I am far from smart; I just work hard and am thankful my father and grand-father instilled a strong work ethic in me. While there are several things I would like to improve about myself, the first and foremost is my writing skills. I have never been a strong writer and painfully struggle with writing. I will be spending a lot of time in the EDM310 lab and the USA Writing Center this semester.


2 comments:

  1. I am no EDM assistant, but we had a class together last semester and I have a couple of things to share with you. First, I read your blog entry and I don't think you are going to have any problems in this class. I checked the new class assignments and I believe he cut out a couple of things. EDM will be overwhelming at times, but after a while will become very normal. Before you know it the semester will soon be over and you will look back at this class and think, "Hey that wasn't so bad." The best advice I can give you is to get started earlier in the week so that things don't sneak up on you. Above all else, proofread your work. I have even gone back the next day so that things were easier to catch. When an assistant tells you about things that you need to correct, correct it and go back to previous posts and correct those as well. Make your blog be something you can be proud of... A sort of resume resource. Trust me, Mark, when I say that I think you a going to be just fine. Your grammatical understanding is already good and that is one of the biggest hurdles to overcome. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Danya, of course I remember you from last semester, EDU400 was such a fun class, and it is kind of you to take the time to reply on my blog. Even though I still feel very overwhelmed by this class, I appreciate your words of encouragement. I most certainly will heed your advice to start early and pay careful attention to proofreading my work. Hope your semester goes well!

    ReplyDelete